Monday, April 16, 2012

The 'Labour' 'Theater'


Today is the last day of my posting in the Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the TMA Pai Hospital at Karkala 40km away from my home in Manipal. Today is therefore, also the last day I would get to spend in the best place in Karkala (the air conditioned theater, labor theater that is) considering the heat currents of the current year. I’m not sad. I’m just introspecting. A little pensive, perhaps. I haven’t got to sleep much in the last 3 days- ½ hour once, 25 minutes onetime, 2 hours another time and a lil’ longer last night. I can’t remember what day each of these naps belong to. You would be nodding your head with me, if you ever had a chance to skip sleep for a couple of consecutive nights. Like me, you would fail to differentiate those sleepy days with those sleep-deprived nights and slumber is essentially the one thing that differentiates one day from another. Well, it wasn’t always work that had the privilege of keeping me awake. One night, it was an idea of a crazy nighttime adventure. A few late night games of ‘Taboo’ and ‘Charades’ during the jobless night shift. And one night, I just didn’t feel like going to sleep and spent the night with the lame excuse that it has been months since I’ve watched a movie!

Today is my last day and I’m ‘on call’ again for the 5th time in the last 10 days owing to the 5 day leave for my glamorous 2000$ winning Mumbai trip this month (yes, correct. You can learn a few tips about modesty from me) and all alone in the labor theatre (hereby, referred to as ‘LT’). Being on call essentially means what it stands for- people can call you anytime in those 12 hours and you better respond in the first 3 calls, from the LT phone ringing to fetching teas and files, being treated like shit and just playing ‘freeze’ as the sleep deprived frustrated post graduates relieve their stress on you as they play in their ‘pool of estrogen’. Remember that the interns are at the bottom of the ‘doctor food chain’.
My friends say that I exaggerate. I wouldn’t disagree but a wee bit of exaggeration in a narration adds spice and might occasionally make few events sound dramatic but gets everybody all ears and drives the message home. I may exaggerate a little but facts will remain facts no matter what I say or write.
Like I always love to say; ‘anything that happens in your life can be either enjoyed or at least will remain as a good experience’. This episode as I would call it is another experience because I can’t remember that I’ve learnt in the last 2 weeks. Zilch. But for one face I would never ever forget in my life and the tangible agony it carried. I was the same face that kept me distracted that day, even in the operation theater (another theater wherein man makes holes this time to pull out babies after losing his patience) wherein I was called to be the 2nd assistant (the guy who gets to hold the retractor till his hand goes numb) and I was just lost in the blood till the crying baby just brought me back from that labyrinthine abyss! Most of my ‘on call’ days were very busy days. This, one day, like any other day, I was moving from one bed to another among the 4 beds, monitoring contractions and taking blood pressures allotting a generous 15 minutes for each ‘gonna-be- mother’ woman, as they moaned and groaned in pain with each contraction. My job was to carefully keep a record of these episodes of intense ‘grade- 10‘ pain and document them as ‘howmany’ for ‘howlong’ in ‘howmuch’ time until I get a satisfactory 3-4/ 35-45’’/10’ to write; ‘the patient progressed well into the second stage of labor with good uterine contractions’. You have to be professional to do that, meaning to turn into an emotion-less stone and a few jokes behind the scene even when people are dying does help. If you want the logistics of how it works, here it is. There are 4 beds in the LT here. The monitoring of BP and contractions should happen once every half hour for each patient and you give about 15 minutes to do all that stuff. Now, if you have added 2+2 along with me, you would have realized that by the time I finish with the last patient on bed 4, I’m already lagging by half hour in writing progress for the first patient! It only gets worse when suddenly one of the 4 women decide to deliver and you need to scrub in to be an assistant even for the simple SVD with RMLE (Spontaneous Vaginal Delivery with Right Medio-lateral Episiotomy) after which you realize that you’ve fallen behind in writing progress for the last 2 hours. Not only laborious but also exhaustive.

Among all this screaming, the bloodshed, the perpetual procreation of mankind, affectionate scenes of handholding and tears of joy, this particular woman entered the scene and handed over her file to me, which said ‘missed abortion’. There is a dead baby in her womb and she didn’t know it, until now. She will be induced for labor and will have to undergo the labor like any other expectant mother though she now knows that the end result of all of this is a dead piece of her flesh, blood and soul that shall enter the world with ‘no life’ but ironically with a face so calm and at peace that every being on this planet starting with the first moments of crying would strive for all his/her life. She had to stay in the LT even after expelling the dead fetus to be under observation and to her misfortune, the busier the day was getting they were just more and more deliveries happening the whole day. She was there on her bed watching all those crying babies, new mothers and so much life all around. To everybody’s surprise, she neither cried nor wept.

We, as doctors, knew that it was another misfortunate incident in the imperfect field of medical science. Some of us even went to examine the corpse out of curiosity to answer our questions and measured the infant like we measure any other with normal vitals. When we mention that a disease has just 1% mortality, do we realize that for that one person affected out of the 100, it is 100% mortality?! I requested the seniors to shift her to another room but they showed no concern. They said it happens and she’ll have to accept the fact one day, anyway. I don’t have anything against them; I have no sides to take for sides are only taken when you see the insufficient halves of the story but isn’t that so easy for us to say. I went up to her at the end of the long day and said to her not to over think about it and it’ll all be okay. She blankly looked at me and said ‘nothing’. I remember that face from before. It was the same look when my roommate who unfortunately failed in his final year MBBS university exams for no apparent reason known. For me, knowing the genius and the hard worker he is was worse news than hearing the news of my own passing. 
It was the same look that said, Why me? They haunt me- questions with no answers.






10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And hence, they say that you have to be cold.
One can't really let go of the fact that these situations in our career make us re-think!
Eventually, it becomes a part of our lives like the victim's!

Language Translation ‎ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AGARWAL PACKERS AND MOVERS LTD. said...

Packers and Movers Services
Packers Movers India
Packers & Movers

Top Movers in India said...

Some Good Things to Decrease Stress on Overseas Relocation : Packers and Movers Bangalore

Anonymous said...

The borrower can likewise authorize these advances from online help and direction. Because of online direction the borrower will dependably have the capacity to get up and coming data on these advances and which will dependably be useful in one or the other way. http://www.mobiletextloansuk.org.uk/

Movers And Packers said...

packers and movers in Mumbai | Vijay Packers And Logistics
packers and movers in mumbai
packers and movers in pune
packers and movers in bangalore
packers and movers in hyderabad
packers and movers in ahmedabad
packers and movers in jaipur
packers and movers in chandigarh
packers and movers in aundh pune
packers and movers in waked pune
packers and movers in indore
Logistics packers and movers
packers and movers in Powai mumbai
packers and movers in Andheri mumbai
packers and movers in andheri
Professional packers and movers in powai mumbai

Unknown said...

Thanks For sharing more information.
Auckland Removals

Unknown said...

बालों की सुंदरता को बढ़ाने के तरीके
रिंकल्स को कम करने के उपाए
जल्दी वजन घटाने के उपाय
मुँहासे और चहरे पर दाने हटाने के उपाय
क़ब्ज़ का इलाज
सीने में जलन के लिए घरेलू उपचार

alaa omran said...

شركات نقل عفش واثاث بجدة
شركات نقل عفش بالطائف
اسعار وارقام شركات نقل العفش بالمدينة المنورة
دينا نقل عفش جدة ,افضل دينا
ارخص شركه نقل عفش بجده
دليل شركات نقل العفش بجدة
شركة نقل عفش برابغ ,15 عام خبرة
شركات نقل عفش واثاث بالباحه

Nashwa Mostafa said...

نقدم جميع خدمات النظافةشركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة اقل سعر
توفر المؤسسة خدمة نظافة الشقق السكنية ، والقيام بجميع اعمال الغسيل والتنظيف والصيانة
تطهير الشقق في المدينة المنورة
تنظيف منازل فى المدينة المنورة
من خدماتنا:
أفضل شركة متخصصه تعمل في مكافحة الطيور وتركيب مانع الحمام والطيور من تكوين اعشاش وطرد الحمام من المكيفات.
التخلص من الحمام والطيور بشكل عام
تنظيف السجاد بالبخار
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالمدينة المنورة من أفضل شركات النظافة التي يمكنك اللجوء إليها للحصول على أعمال تنظيف ممتازة فهي افضل شركة غسيل سجاد بالمدينة المنورة