Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Insomnia- I


After sitting hours straight and have accumulated enough toxic gases, my head erupted in a yawn and I was glad that sleep was coming because if the human brain truly had any limit or capacity, I think mine just exceeded the limits. When the altered consciousness says that it can’t take it anymore, sleep is a wonderful thing. It makes everything go away and gifts you a new silent start tomorrow.

I turned the lights off and holding my 14week potbelly like a pregnant women with lardosis and wondering what I would be dreaming today, I reached my bed 4.5 feet away with great difficulty. May be one of those Richie Rich dreams where I get to be the king and have to play a 3D virtual ‘Game of scratch’ to save my queen and the kingdom or oh ooh, one of those where the world is about to an end only to survive at the climax of the dream where the whole of mankind spent all of it’s money, resources or finished off with it’s ‘bucket list’ that many of us had nothing to live for after the unexpected survival! Death as a whole, when it comes it all, at once, doesn’t seem like a bad idea at all now. In one of those dreams which I still vividly remember, I was at Marine drive when the skies began to crack open and spill down avalanches and I ran to save myself all across the globe, from the Pyramids to the Red sea and the Alps of Europe all at once. Ooh! I think I even spotted a few dinosaurs! 

But it’s been a while I dreamt in sleep. Actually, I have to admit that I began to have trouble sleeping. It’s not the barking of the dogs or the cats that find way inside the house that disturb me anymore but my own pounding heart. It beat so hard and gave me a constant company like pain during my post-operation that I worried if I would have to lay in bed all night awake until the first rays of the morning would forcibly make me throw the blanket off. I doubted even if any sleeping pill would be an antagonist to this disease. A few years ago, I enjoyed a 7-hour sleep even before my 1st year university exams and there was never a problem before either. Oh good great sweet killer education, I ask thou, what have you done to me?